Food Combos Got You Feeling Like A Blowfish?
Did you know that certain food combinations can wreak havoc on your digestion & gut? And as you've heard me talk about before, health begins in our gut. So, as you can imagine, it's probably important to understand what food combinations might cause you upset, pain, and that nasty "B" word... bloating! Here's a quick & dirty list for you:
- Only ONE protein per meal. Buh-bye Surf & Turf! So, if you have eggs for a meal, keep it to eggs only and avoid adding another protein source.
- Melons = Keep them all on their lonesome... no exceptions. The reason being, they digest quicker then most foods.
- Fruit should generally be eaten alone. Here's why; fruit can digest in 20-30 minutes (super duper fast) versus protein can take up to 2-3 hours. So, when you combine these things (think yogurt & fruit or fruit & oatmeal) the protein will have to be digested before the fruit can. Thus, the fruit can sit in the intestines and ferment. #nastytruth Of course there are exceptions, blending fruits helps to pre-digest them and allows them to safely be combined with other nutrients.
- Leafy Greens + Non-starchy Veggies are an overall win with E.V.E.R.Y.T.H.I.N.G.! Yay! Eat your veggies, Jr.!
- Hold the water, please! Try to avoid drinking too much water/liquid during your meal & 30 minutes post-meal. This dilutes the digestive fluids and can slow digestion.
- Protein + Starches can sometimes be an issue too. However, with this one you have to test it out for yourself to see how you feel. Try eating protein + veggies first then head for the carbs. This will help you to fill up on the most satiating stuff before binging on the quick burners. The consumption of protein will also help to slow the release of sugar to the bloodstream. Try it out yourself and see what results you get.
Feeling overwhelmed? Don't sweat it. Practice paying attention to how you feel after a meal (and make sure you're eating slowly and mindfully) and you will be able to pick up on what combos work for you and which don't.
Need help? Simply "reply" to ask questions or set up a consultation with me to help you minimize the bloat, start to shed some lbs., and most importantly set yourself up with optimum health!