The Best Exercise When I'm Strapped for Time!
Sometimes you just don't have time to hit the gym. Am I right, or am I right? I find myself in this predicament from time to time, for sure!
The kids have a million activities to be at, plus the fridge needs to be stocked, the house could most definitely use a cleaning, plans for the weekend are underway, not to mention the pile of to-do's on your desk at work before the weekend. So yeah, that whole gym thing, is just gonna have to wait.
That's why I wanted to shoot you a quick email to give you my very favorite exercise to do when I'm overwhelmed, strapped for time and am unable to get to the gym.
Yes, that's right. Breathing exercises are my absolute go to when I'm in a gym bind. Here's why I love deep breathing exercises. It...
- Helps detoxify the body.
- Helps to minimize stress & anxiety.
- Helps move the lymphatic system, which aids in weight management and maintaining muscle mass.
- Helps detoxify the body. Oh wait, did I already say that? Yeah, I guess that's because detoxing the body is kinda a big deal! ;-)
- Helps to lower blood pressure.
- Helps to flush inflammation = less uncomfortable bloating!
- to name a few.
As you can see, it's not your typical idea of a workout but deep breathing clearly provides many things that a strength training or cardio workout offers as well.
Here's how I conduct my exercise...
- Sit in a comfortable position, close your eyes (unless you're driving - this can also be done while driving) and sit up tall.
- Take a deep inhale initiating from the belly button. Start to feel you belly button expand forward. Inhale for a slow count of 5.
- Hold your inhale at the top for a count of 2.
- Exhale for a slow count of 5. Feel your belly button draw back towards your spine.
- Hold at the bottom of your exhale for a count of 2.
- Repeat 3-5 times.
This exercise is just so delicious! I LOVE it and hope you do too. Try it out a couple times a day and let me know what you think!