Slow the *bleep* down...
Why I had to slow the (bleep) down....
I'm a busy body. Especially when it comes to working out. I like intense, I like heavy and I like to go all out.
So, when my body started to show signs of more exhaustion then normal, I initially pushed through and tried to ignore it. And this worked, for a little while. Until it caught up with me and hip chucked me to the ground.
SLOWLY (and I mean it took some serious time) I started to listen to the signs. When I wasn't able to jump out of bed in the morning, it was a sign. When I needed an entire pot of coffee to survive the day, it was a sign. When I was craving more sugar than Hostess uses to make their Twinkies, it was a sign. And with this, I began to slow down.
Don't get me wrong, this WAS NOT a simple task. I was worried I looked lazy, I felt like a slum and I just wanted to go full force once again. Then I remembered - "slow and stead wins the race."
This meant in order to get back to where I wanted to be, I had to learn from what I was experiencing. Since then, I've been allowing myself to slow down without apology. I've come to terms and instead of criticizing myself, I thank my body for all it does. I listen more to the signs and let them dictate my actions. When I slow down, I find that I'm able to enjoy the process a little bit more and that, my friend, is a truly beautiful thing.
Here are some ways to slow down and still get ahead...
- Go for a walk in nature and take in all the beauty that surrounds you.
- Spend some time cooking a meal and have fun cutting the veggies and herbs. Enjoy the delicious aromas and as you eat, slowly enjoy the delicacy of each bite.
- Stay in with your partner and just embrace one another's company free of distraction.
- Sit on the patio and deepen your breathing. Know that you're eliminating toxins simply by doing this action.
- Laugh and don't take yourself too seriously.
- Lay in bed 30 minutes earlier than usual and flourish being wrapped up in your sheets.
These little tokens of self-love and acceptance will allow your body to heal so you can step back into your full energized self, showing up excited and enthusiastically for life.