D.R.E.S.S. = An Acronym to Keep Health Simple
So, I just hopped off a call with Reed Davis of Functional Diagnostic Nutrition and we talked all about how vitality & health is truly found through simple daily steps that anyone and everyone can take. He has called it D.R.E.S.S. Let me break it down for ya...
D. - Diet (big surprise, huh?) This includes:
- Cutting out foods that cause you upset and inflammation (this means paying attention to what you eat and how you feel after.)
- Finding food intolerance, either through testing or an elimination diet.
- Eliminating the crap storm of sugar & processed foods.
- Filling your body with whole, healing items that give you energy, well-being, and satiety.
- Slowing down when you're chewing and eating your meals.
R. - Rest (another big surprise, huh?) This includes:
- Shoot for 7-8 hours each night.
- Try to stick to some sort of a routine, even on the weekends.
- Set your room up for complete quiet and darkness to ensure deep sleep.
- Noticing how you feel when you wake. You want to feel like you can jump out of bed and do a ditty.
E. - Exercise (I'm guessing the element of surprise is now gone.) This includes:
- Getting some sort of movement, if not daily, at least 3-5 times per week.
- Doing both strength and cardio workouts.
- Getting sweaty at least a couple times per week.
- Stretching to promote healing from your workouts.
S. - Stress Management (you've heard this one from me before!) This includes:
- Practicing mindfulness in whatever way works for you.
- Practicing deep breathing.
- Eliminating or minimizing things that cause you stress.
- Spending time in a nature.
- Laughing and playing.
S. - Supplements (as much as I wish we could get everything from our food!) This includes...
- This one is so individualized depending on each persons body & needs. As much as I wish we got all the minerals, nutrients, and vitamins we need from food, we just don't. There are a few supplements I think most people should be using; fish oil, vitamin D, & magnesium. Again, these are all so body specific but good to know.